How can I keep the sunlight coming in my apartment while keeping prying eyes out?

The vast majority of my windows face the road. It wasn't too big of a deal until the end of the summer when they started building a grocery store directly across the street. The soon to be parking lot is right across the street from me. As a single mother, this makes me very nervous. I'm not too keen on the idea of maybe being watched by people in parked cars.I have blinds but they are old. A few will no longer even come down and I would have to keep them down ALL the time to feel safe. I do not want to live in a dark cave. I do not have a bunch of money to dump into all new expensive window treatments and I can not alter the windows permanently since I am renting. Does anyone know of any simple solutions that will allow sunlight to come in but not allow people outside to see in? I saw some shades, on line, that close upwards but they are so expensive and seeing as I have 7 windows of varying sizes that need to be covered, its just not financially possible.

• elhigh

Right across the street isn't as bad as next door.

Still, if it bothers you you can add reflective film to the window. It WILL cut down on a fair amount of the light coming in (and NOTE, you cannot add reflective film to the inside pane of a double-pane window), but as long as it's brighter outside than inside, pretty much the only thing people will be able to see will be their own reflection.

Also: venetian blinds, slanted to let in light from above, will do a very good job of keeping people from seeing in, who are almost invariably seeing in from below. Passing helicopters will be able to peek in, but not pedestrians.

• ChaCha

There is a type of window treatment that lets down from above. My neighbor has this. Most every day she had it down about 18" and all one can see is light coming from her house, nothing else. Check stores like Lowe's, Home Depot, or Menard's. Tell the clerk what you are looking for do they can help.

You can buy window film in either a frosted or patterned clear colour or you can buy it coloured in different colours and patterns so it looks like stained glass. It's easy to apply and easy to remove. Some types are static cling, others have like a sticky side, though it's easy enough to peel back off.

Some of the home diy stores have stuff that go over your window with patterns on it which can be removed. Also, there is contact paper like that.

• ICU2

Get window tint...it will block "some" sun light but will keep prying eyes out...cheap and ez to put on...

They have shades that still let light in, called Solar Shades. Don't get Roller Shades, they won't let any light in.

Net curtains let you see out, but people outside can't see thru them.

Sheer white curtains.

They are made for that.

• bob

venetian blinds?