denlp96 asked in SportsOlympics · 4 years ago

Has anyone else noticed the vast expanses of empty seats at the Rio Olympics?

• Kyle

it's mainly just family and friends at the olympics. i doubt a lot of locals are there. i don't know how much tickets cost for certain venues. and some sports are popular than others.

when Phelps and Ledecky were swimming, they had full seats. and same for soccer.

• Lee

Yes I have and it's not much of surprise, Brazil is a very poor country and a lot of people from other parts of the world did not want to come there just for the Olympics and I don't blame them

• ?

Minimal interest, which is felt financially in every facet of Rio's entertainment industry -- but the Paralympics is in deep financial straits....less than 10 percent of the tickets for all events have been sold.

Apparently there was a huge ticketing SNAFU. As I understand it the Rio Olympic committee was supposed to buy up blocks of tickets from the IOC, and then resell them as walk-up tickets for locals. However ROC ran out of money to buy said tickets, so the tickets went unsold.

There almost always are at any ilympics except for the most popular event finals.