Can anybody help to identify this crystal?

It's small and fits in the palm of my hand. On the top, it is like a light purpley colour and fades into white at the bottom. It's attached to like a rock or something at the bottom which is opaque. The crystal is pretty flat and geometric in shape. There aren't a lot of protruding bits.

• Ron

If the crystals look cubic, then I would guess fluorite.

It could be amethyst if the crystals look hexagonal.

Hard to tell for sure with the photo. If you rub it against a glass jar and it scratches the jar, then it is probably quartz (amethyst). If it cannot scratch glass, then I will suggest it is fluorite.

that is quartz, with a slight violet-purple coloration, but probably not strong enough that you would call it amethyst. You could, I suppose, but it isn't a very good example. the crystalline quartz has grown on a base of microcrystalline quartz. Probably a piece of geode, or maybe a piece of a vein. Needed some open space for those quartz crystals to grow the way they did.