New to me '09 Camry I want it to stop honking so loud when I lock/unlock it.?

It honks letting my entire apartment complex know that I am leaving my house, just got home or have forgot a million things in my car and have to keep going back in and out of it to get stuff. Its really annoying and it a loud sound that tells everyone in the area HEY LOOK this apartment is now empty and you will hear when she gets home. It honks when I lock it regardless of using the key, lock button on the key or if you press the button inside the vehicle. Same for when its locked. Oh and it also honks when you have to press the button a 2nd time to unlock the whole car. How do I get this to stop or to at least make it not so loud?

Please read what I wrote before you answer. I have already stated that the KEY, THE INSIDE CAR DOOR LOCK AND THE BUTTON on my remote ALL make it honk. There is no other way to get into the locked car or locking it after use without it honking aside from maybe entering and exiting via the trunk....... I hope that cleared things up.

• Snezzy

It's a feature. I once had a 1974 (?) car that would not start unless everyone had their seat belts buckled. Try explaining that to the bag of groceries you've put in the front seat.

My current vehicles are trucks from 1987 to 1997. They mostly don't try to do those stupid things. I don't want a newer vehicle. I tried driving a new truck at a dealership just to see what they were like. No Thank You!!

if you have the owners manual there will be instructions how to disable the horn so only the marker lights will flash when the car is unlocked or locked

Put the alarm system in "valet" mode and use the key (not the remote) to lock and unlock doors.

• g

The horn cannot be deactivated, without deactivating the horn all together. You can simply use your auto lock mechanism on your driver's side door panel wen exiting your vehicle. Doing so will activate your security system the same as the fob.