denlp96 asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 3 years ago

Prince Charles is almost 70; will he ever be King, or will he abdicate in favor of Prince William?

He has spent his whole life as King in training. He will not give up the throne unless ill health means that he can't perform his duties.

• Clo

Charles intends to be king. He has spent ALL of his life preparing for the job. His reign will be much like another long-serving Prince of Wales, Edward VII--relatively short but a positive experience.

We'll just get out a crystal ball shall we?

This question has been asked and answered many times.

Who cares.

I doubt he would abdicate if his health was good, just MHO

He will be similar to Edward 7th who became King after Victoria died and was on the Throne for about 9 years.Charles wont abdicate because I dont want him to do. William will take it in his own time.

Unfortunately, I think he will become King. The Queen will try to hang on for as long as possible but, as much as we would like her to, she cannot live forever.

• Lili

We don't know what he will choose to do; we don't even know the man.

However, he's been waiting a lifetime to inherit the throne, and I don't see him handing it over to William once his mother dies. In fact, despite her age, the Queen clearly has no intention of abdicating herself -- it's not a British tradition -- so I suspect Charles intends to emulate her, no matter how old he gets.

The only circumstance in which I can see him choosing to abdicate would comprise extremely serious illness, but even then, William could just be appointed regent.

He can't abdicate BEFORE he's King.

Unless he dies before the Queen, he will be King.