Can I use a Display port hdmi to dvi for dual monitors to show two different displays?

I have a laptop that have HDMI port and a monitor with a VGA and DVI port. I want my laptop and monitor to be independent showing two different displays, NOT two of the same displays Can I buy a Display port HDMI to DVI adapter in order to have different display on my laptop and a different display on my monitor? Please help!!!

• Bort

It can be done but the thing is there are several different types of DVI input (pin) layouts and you need to get the right DVI adapter that fits the pin layout on the monitor and the pin layout on laptop, which may be different. Because DVI has so many different pin layouts finding and getting the right adapter or cord can be a pain in the butt.

This image linked below shows and describes 5 of the different DVI pin layouts. I'm not sure exactly how many different ones there are.

https://goo.gl/images/19JpGx

I looked quick to find out how many different ones there are but didn't find a good answer the results I got said there are only 2 prominent layouts but right there is 5....

Maybe now you recognize why I said DVI is a butt pain? The quality of DVI isn't worth the hassle in my opinion.

• opurt

When you connect the second monitor, you can choose to Duplicate the display (same on both) or Extend it (two separate screens). Press Windows-P and it pops up a menu with those options.

You should only need an HDMI to DVI cable to get it to work (DisplayPort is something else different).