Badass surnames?

So I'm writing a book with a cool boss that runs a company called Leopard.co. I was thinking something along the lines of 'Coleman', but that is used a ton. So if you have any badass/smart surnames, flood your ideas to me!

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Best answer

Bullitt, Dredd, Majestyk, Matrix, Plissken, Rambo, Rockatansky, Ryback, Spartan, Storm... all of those names come from action movies. They sound inauthentic and over the top. Some literary characters have names like "Brown" or "Holden" or "Moriarty", names that wouldn't strike anyone as being particularly tough-sounding, yet the characters who bear them are undeniably tough, and sometimes vicious and diabolical. Are they tough and vicious and diabolical because of their names? Of course not. A name is just a name. Calling your character "Savage" or "Slaughter" just to give your reader the impression that the character is supposed to be tough is condescending and dumb. You could name a character Smith or Jones, Greenleaf or Smiles and it wouldn't matter so long as you know how to write a decent character who displays the traits you intend. If you can't come up with your own names, then you aren't capable of writing anything anyway.

• 2 years ago

Names with deep vowels and hard, singular consonants usually work well for "badass" characters, especially if they're not very long. I'm partial to Carver, Vye, and Damon, if that gives you an idea.

In response to top answer: one the one hand, it is quite possible to be way too over-the-top with names like this, and usually if you name a character after a weapon or adjective people will find it humorous. On the other, though, the name's sound should certainly reflect the way you want your reader to feel about the character. Charles Dickens, one of the greatest writers of all time, is famous for the wonderfully appropriate names he gave to his characters like Ebenezer Scrooge or Mr. Headstone. Whatever you choose, commit to it fully and the reader will, too.

• 2 years ago

Hitler.

or Hiller.

Sounds like Hitler or Killer.

• 2 years ago

Attila

Atticus

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • denise
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Hellman, Darking, Drago, Styx, Damon,

• 2 years ago

Furie

• 2 years ago

Smith

• 2 years ago

Bilton, Winchester, Karamakov

• 2 years ago

Parker

Channing

Decesare

Snyder

Chandler

Mustang

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Rossi, Roman, Romano, Romanov

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.