Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 2 years ago

Is there a way to remove MS Defender? I'd rather have something else, like Norton, McAfee, or another anti-virus.?

Update:

OK, I get it. I'm a retard when it comes to these things. Thank you all.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Best answer

You can't remove it.

Just install the anti-virus program, and Windows will disable MS Defender and use yours instead.

BTW, both Norton and McAfee suck. Use something like AVG or Avast. Both are far better and are free for home users.

• 2 years ago

just install other antivirus software. windows defender will shut down.

• 2 years ago

If you really want to remove Windows Defender completely, you could upgrade from Windows to Linux. Try Ubuntu or Mint versions of Linux (other distributions are available).

• 2 years ago

There is no need to remove Windows Defender simply install the antivirus that you wish to install and automatically windows will turn off and deactivate Windows Defender

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Lv 7
    2 years ago

when you install an Antivirus, Windows disables Defender. you cannot remove it anymore. it is integrated in Windows.

• 2 years ago

you just disable it. which most AV's will automatically do for you.

• Richard
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

If you disable it without having any replacement, Windows Defender will re-enable itself after a certain time.

• 2 years ago

installing a different one will disable defender

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

I don't think it can be removed. You have to disable it so another anti-virus can take over the defense of your system.

How to disable Windows Defender using Local Group Policy

Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command.

Type gpedit.msc and click OK to open the Local Group Policy Editor.

Browse the following path: ...

On the right, double-click Turn off Windows Defender.

Select Enabled to disable Windows Defender.

Source(s): Google
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.