Do you agree that using underweight models for fashion week is bad?

I didn’t know how to word my question within the amount of characters allowed so this is my actual question. In the fashion industry, designers would never use an overweight model to model their clothes. Even if the clothes are plus size the model is normally a size 12/14 anyway (UK sizes). I saw a documentary... show more I didn’t know how to word my question within the amount of characters allowed so this is my actual question.

In the fashion industry, designers would never use an overweight model to model their clothes. Even if the clothes are plus size the model is normally a size 12/14 anyway (UK sizes). I saw a documentary about New York fashion week saying that the models would not even eat on the day they were modelling so they didn’t bloat, some of them even said they eat cotton wool balls to make them feel bloated!

Would you agree that using models that are underweight is just as bad as using models which are overweight. I’m a fashion student myself and I often wonder why these companies do not use models who are just average sizes? Like a size 8/10 for example?

I think especially in the world we live in where so many young girls see these women who are actually underweight and feel like they need to be that small. I think the fashion industry should not be promoting this unhealthy lifestyle. They should be promoting health, and telling young women of today that they don’t need to be a size 2 to be beautiful.

I think fashion companies should be forced to only hire models who’s bmi has been confirmed by a doctor that they’re of a healthy weight. I know a few companies are doing this now but not all of them. Would you agree they should do this?