Can you code your medical records confidential to another county?

Let me give an example. Suppose I go to another county to receive treatment, do they send my treatment to the county I live in or could I say confidential?

Thanks for your comments and all of them are very professional. I wanted to add a little bit more for better understanding. I have a lot of people in my county working at my local hospital that I know such as family, friends, etc. I promise I don't have anything fatal. I wanted to go to another hospital in a different county and was wondering whatever treatment I would received, would they share the information with my local hospital?

Don't count on anything being confidential anymore.

You can tell everyone until the cows come home that you don't want something shared, and all it takes is one code in a computer or one hacker to have it all over the universe.

If you want something to be absolutely confidential, you *may* be able to get a specialist lawyer to handle it if you paid cash for the procedure.

• Judith

Unless you tell them otherwise they will share your medical records with your doctor. They all do that. You can, however, ask them not to by not signing the release form. Simple.

• .

Are you talking about "county" or "country?" I go to other counties regularly to receive treatment. For continuity of care, why wouldn't you want your records transferred?

doesn't work. your insurance company [if you're in America] gets all records from all claims. Everywhere else in the first world, the government scheme gets all claims information.

if you think you really have to do this, prepare to pay cash. and know that if you conceal whatever it is from your insurance company [any kind of insurance] doing so may void the policy as to any related claims ... meaning the most they have to pay is to return your premiums.

Source(s): grampa -- btw, that includes your life insurance

Unless it is a cosmetic procedure why wouldn't you want your doctor to know what was done? Under HIPPA I'm pretty sure you have to approve it(it's been 10 years but I'm pretty sure I had to sign paperwork when I went to another hospital, transferred, so that my doctor would be allowed to see the results and information). Remember though that the doctor has the right to dismiss you as a patient and no doctor has to treat you if you are stable. So if you don't want them to be able to see your medical history they might not want to treat you.

• Maxi

That would depend on what country you 'go to' most countries you would require a visa that enables you to have medical treatment along with a private doctor booked and that doctor would want to see your medical record before they treat you... refusal to allow that would mean refusal to treat you