How are things waves?

Isn't a wave just a motion of something? Like a water wave.. it's a bunch of h2o molecules flowing in waveform.. And lightwaves.. particles of light traveling in waveform.. right?? But why do we talk about waves as if it's the thing, itself? I'm not sure what a sound wave is though.. like what... show more Isn't a wave just a motion of something?

Like a water wave.. it's a bunch of h2o molecules flowing in waveform..

And lightwaves.. particles of light traveling in waveform.. right??

But why do we talk about waves as if it's the thing, itself?

I'm not sure what a sound wave is though.. like what is sound? We hear the vibration of the waves... It travels in the waves... But what would be the particle for sound that travels in waves..??

I'm confused about this whole thing.
Update: "Yes, yes you are very confused." And so are you, since you're unable to shed any light on the subject. Stop pretending that pointing out what others don't know equals you knowing something. You obviously don't. "Light has properties both a particle and a wave." That's what... show more "Yes, yes you are very confused."

And so are you, since you're unable to shed any light on the subject. Stop pretending that pointing out what others don't know equals you knowing something. You obviously don't.

"Light has properties both a particle and a wave."

That's what sparked this question, and you've shared nothing enlightening.