Can I get in trouble for using my neighbors wifi?

Needs Answer 1 First let me start out by saying i'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, i'm just looking for advice and anyone that can answer my questions on this. Okay, so here's the story. About a month ago, my neighbor moved in at the house next to me. Over the weeks, we started making... show more Needs Answer
1
First let me start out by saying i'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, i'm just looking for advice and anyone that can answer my questions on this. Okay, so here's the story. About a month ago, my neighbor moved in at the house next to me. Over the weeks, we started making chit chat in the yard here and there. Well one day, he asked me to watch his dogs one night because he had to work and wouldn't be back till the next day (feed them etc). So I agreed. So the night I went over there after I fed the dogs and let them inside I noticed his router in the kitchen, which I thought was weird. I also noticed it had WPS enabled on the router. Curious, I pushed the WPS button and tried to connect my phone and it worked. Then later, I brought my laptop over and connected my laptop to it the same way, and i've been using it ever since. Now I have my own wifi, but his seems alot faster. My question is this: is this illegal? Can I get in trouble? Even arrested? Can someone provide the law that says I can't use his wifi? My friend told me it was completely legal and it was all open air waves and up for grabs. Is this true? Also, can he find out? How? What do i do? Thank you