Missy asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 2 years ago

I have a 2017 Ram 1500 with 275/60R20 tires. Can snow chains be used on the rear tires?

The users manual accompanying my truck doesn't mention snow chains. However, on online forums I'm reading reports that snow chains cannot be used with Ram trucks because of "brake line clearance" at the rear wheels.

A properly fitted and monitored chain shouldn't cause any problem, but I can imagine a loose one flailing round inside the wheel catching and ripping out either the brake or its plumbing - and you don't want that to happen!

It's very easy to fit chains but more difficult to do it properly, securely and safely. The latter is where most people come unstuck.

I'd only use chains where you absolutely have to, otherwise rely on a proper tire for the conditions.

• ?

Yes, you CAN use snow chains on your truck, as long as the chains are the proper size for the wheels and tires you have on the truck. One size DOES NOT fit all!

• Ron

I would heed those reports. A high quality snow tire with 500 pounds of sand in the bed and the factory traction control will be more than sufficient

• ryan

buy two rear tires and put studs in them. tires are a bit expensive, studs are cheap.