Why has no company invented a tablet that works also as a cell phone?

This seems like a fairly straight forward and do-able idea yet no one is jumping at the chance to be the first to combine the two technologies.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favourite answer

Well there are tablets that have a cellular antenna for connecting to 3G/4G networks. So that kind of counts as a cellular device. Of course, you can't directly make calls on it. You would need to download a texting app that works with VOIP.

The closest to a cell phone and tablet is a phablet, which is essentially a large smartphone like the Samsung Galaxy Note series and others.

I don't think there would be much demand for a large tablet with cell phone capabilities though. That's probably why they don't really make them.

• " "
    Lv 5
    2 years ago

f

• 2 years ago

Too unwieldy to be practical.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

because it too big

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Hi you need to pay more for such tablets.

• 2 years ago

Apparently you haven't fully explored what is available.

• 2 years ago

I believe they have ...

• SRΛSC
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Because no one is gonna walk around with one as a phone.

As it stands now tablets can do VoIP calls (basically internet calls)

• 2 years ago

There are plenty of "phablets" around, and many of the large Samsung tablets (versions with SIM cards) do have full phone functionality! I'd be really surprised if other manufacturers SIM enabled devices can't be used this way either. On a SIM carrying Android it should simply be a case of downloading the relevant apps!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.