Eddi
Eddi asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 years ago

Is $15,000 too high a bill for a mitigation company to charge to take care of a kitchen flood in my house?

In August I had a bad kitchen flood. There was water damage not only in the kitchen -- but throughout the villa, which was submerged in several inches of water. I had to get a mitigation company in (I am in Florida) to immediately dry the house out. It was a well known restoration company, they had to remove kitchen kitchen cabinets, take down part of my dry walls in four rooms, move furniture, -- and billed my insurance company directly. They set up drying equipment for 5 days. The insurance company has still not paid the invoice, they are negotiating a settlement with my public adjuster. I am responsible for their bill of $15,000 it seems - even though I never saw the final bill. I am getting nervous about this. Is this a ridiculous invoice for this amount of work?

With such a major mess, having to remove dry wall & kitchen cabinets, etc, I'm surprised it isn't more.

No, the invoice is in line with the type of work you describe. The problem is, is this actually a covered loss? And, how much is your deductible? and, is there a coinsurance penalty?

That is not an outrageous number...

• Judy

probably not unreasonable

No, it is not. Removing drywall in four rooms, replacing it all, re-texturing and re-painting, removing cabinets, putting them up again, getting in several commercial grade dryers, etc . I wouldn't be surprised at $30,000 for a total cost. It was probably two full weeks of work, possibly more.

• Eddi
      2 years agoReport

This does not include doing any of the reconstruction. It just includes drying the place out and tearing down about one foot of drywall ---The reconstruction, painting, new flooring, and kitchen cabinets will be extra. This is for 5 days of work. The Equipment rental charge about 9,000

sounds like theyre charging a lot to nne too

• Eddi

Note- I put no money down. They billed my insurance company directly for the work.