Montana in January?

Life has lead one of my closest friends and I down a path that isn t exactly comfortable right now.  As a result we had to cancel some plans that we had previously scheduled for his birthday in January. But I would still like to do something nice for him during this time.  He is very into astronomy. I m thinking a... show more Life has lead one of my closest friends and I down a path that isn t exactly comfortable right now. 
As a result we had to cancel some plans that we had previously scheduled for his birthday in January. But I would still like to do something nice for him during this time. 

He is very into astronomy. I m thinking a quick trip someplace with superb stargazing might be in order. 
Montana is just one place on my list of possibilities. I m literally open to anywhere in the lower 48 though I do have special preference to the upper midwest/northwest as we have to be in the southwest a couple weeks later. 

Heres where I need the help from people of the internet...
All of this is very unchartered waters for me. While he is not I am very much an amateur in astronomy. I need best places that is going to impress someone who already does a lot of stargazing. 
In the middle of January. So it needs to be safe and accessible. 

And I just need thoughts, opinions, etc on travel in Montana during that time...on a very strict budget. 
Hotels, airbnb, other places to see etc.
Tell me about your state!