25+ years of not wearing earrings and the holes never healed. How?

At around my 12 birthday I got my ears pierced. The metal caused a nearly instant infection; as I was unknowingly allergic to the nickle in the hypoallergenic earrings used during piercing. I was unable to continue wearing the earrings and had to take them out well before the time needed fot healing would normally have taken. Here it is now 25 years later and the holes have never closed up or healed. It is like having a constant semi open wound. Today I felt an itch on my ear lobe, scratched it and a small amount of fresh (not old, stinky or hard) puss came out. How is it possible that these openings have never healed after all these years?

Are they actually closed? You can have puss without healing. That is just the body's response to a bacterial infection.

The hole got too big. The skin healed around the hole but the ear cannot regenerate the skin. It won't regrow.

What did it look like? If it was watery and yellowish, it’s not puss, it’s tissue fluid. It is somewhat common for ear piercings to never fully heal, and ooze a bit periodically.