What is the adverb nearly modifying in this sentence?

The creature whipped out a bullhorn and a sword that was nearly five feet in length. -------------------------- So I'm going through a set of exercises about adjectives and adverbs, where I have to circle the correct option. One of the exercises gives the following example: The creature whipped out a... show more The creature whipped out a bullhorn and a sword that was nearly five feet in
length.

--------------------------

So I'm going through a set of exercises about adjectives and adverbs, where I have to circle the correct option. One of the exercises gives the following example:

The creature whipped out a bullhorn and a sword that was (near/nearly) five feet in
length.

I correctly circled "nearly", and in the answer key, it says "nearly" is the correct option because it is adding more information about "five feet in length" (which is a description of sword). But I thought the reason it was correct is that "nearly" is modifying the verb "was".

Can someone clarify?

Thank you.