Do I need to add my teenage son to my auto insurance even if he doesn't ever drive my car?

We live in Oregon. My insurance company is being persistent about me coming in to discuss adding my licenced 17 year old son to my policy. We are on a fixed income as I am disabled. Also, my son doesn't drive my car. Ever. I am requiring him to get a job first so that he can afford insurance before he is allowed to drive my car. Is my insurance just being pushy and trying to get more money from me or am I required to put him on my policy regardless?

24 Answers

  • 2 years ago

    If he never drives your car he does not need insurance, this is your insurance trying to get more money from you

  • TedEx
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    ""My son/daughter never drives my car" The insurance companies have heard all this before Then one day he has to run to the drugstore and he gets into an accident and you say " but it was only this one time". As I said, .

    The insurance companies have heard this all before

  • 2 years ago

    Pretty standard...almost all companies require this...

  • 2 years ago

    With over two decades of experience in the insurance business, I can help you with this.

    Your insurance company is being pushy because you'd be absolutely shocked and amazed at how many times the kid who "never" drives the car happens to be the driver when the accident is reported to them. It's happened so many times, over and over, that now the insurance companies don't believe anyone who says that. Maybe you really are that one (count them, one) person who is actually telling the truth, but 99.9% of everyone else has ruined it for you. That's why your insurance contract says (and they all say this) they'll only cover you if they're advised about ALL licensed drivers living in the house. And they're serious about that condition.

    And forget the answers telling you to find another insurer, because they're all like that. But there are options, and they don't all involve you paying through the nose for a kid who really truly never drives your car.

    Option one is simple: Have your son surrender his licence. If he doesn't ever drive, he really has no use for a driver's licence. He got it once, so he can get it again later in life if he needs it. But if that option doesn't work, there's another possibility.

    Option two: An excluded driver agreement. Most insurers in most jurisdictions will allow these. You and your son will sign an excluded driver agreement (the official name varies, but the document is the same) with the insurance company, and they agree to charge no extra premium to cover your son. The catch is that they're deadly serious about the agreement, which says a) your son will not ever drive your vehicle(s) at any time for any reason and b) your insurance policy does not cover anything if he does.

    NOTE: If you sign an excluded driver agreement, remember that it's serious. That means if your son crashes your car after the agreement is signed, you won't be covered for that accident even if he really really needed to drive that one time because it was a life-and-death scenario. Insurance companies are more ruthless than a Colombian Cartel and colder than Hillary's honey pot. They don't make exceptions and they don't accept excuses, and they don't have hearts.

    OTHER NOTE: If the exclusion agreement isn't available where you live, that's because it's not legally enforceable where you live. If that's the case, you'll just have to move somewhere else.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    The insurance company can't FORCE you to do ANYTHING. BUT... They CAN refuse to provide coverage. Nothing says you MUST keep the insurance company you have now. Go shopping. You MAY find better rates with a different company.

  • 2 years ago

    Tell them to stick it and go find a friendlier car insurance company. I'm with progressive and thy have treated me just fine.

    Get the kid some condoms!

    Insurance doesn't cover that!

    Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 2 years ago

    Insurance policies automatically assume that household will share cars and every licensed driver will drive every vehicle at some point. That's how most multi-driver households function, so that's how most policies are structured.

    They can't force you to add him, but they also aren't required to sell you an insurance policy.

    So they might require you to sign an afadavit stating that he will never drive your car and acknowledging that if he does drive your car there is no coverage for any damage or injury he causes.

    Or, they might chose not to sell you insurance if you won't add him to the policy. They don't wan to risk being sued if he causes a crash and they deny the claim. They also don't want to take the chance that you'll lie and claim that you were the driver if he crashes the car.

    Don't get me wrong, I believe you that your son won't drive your car. But the insurance company doesn't believe because that's not normal.

  • 2 years ago

    If you have a licensed driver living in your house, insurance companies assume that person WILL be at least an occasional driver of the car. It's best that you discuss this with your insurance company to find out your options or you might find that they will cancel your insurance.

  • 2 years ago

    Read your original application for insurance. All licensed, residents of the household have to be listed on the policy. It is done for underwriting purposes. Your insurance company has no guaranteed that your son will not drive and have a claim. Some companies will issue coverage when there is an excluded driver listed.

  • 2 years ago

    Despite what the insurance company would like you to believe, you do not have to list your son on your policy. Also, it is untrue that a person not specifically listed on the policy cannot drive the car. The insurance is for the vehicle, not the driver. You may on occasion allow a friend to borrow your car without a call to the insurance company first, for example.

    Things get a bit hazy when a person who lives in the house drives a car for which they are not specifically listed on the policy. Insurance companies will often deny a claim in such a case. If your son "had" to drive the car, such as in an emergency as mentioned in another answer, the insurance company would almost certainly deny a claim, and would probably cancel your policy to boot.

    Edit: I imagine the thumbs down are regarding not having to list drivers on your insurance. You have to list *regular* drivers on your insurance. You can absolutely allow people to use your car, on occasion. The insurance company gets to decide what "regular" is, so if it's going to be a regular thing (once a month or more, perhaps), then listing them is the safe bet.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.