Is this inappropriate behavior?

Is this inappropriate behavior? You are sitting on a long distance bus in Spain. There is an empty seat next to you. A mother with two children, a young boy (say 7 years old) and a young girl (say 6) eyes the empty seat and sits the young girl next to you (you are sitting by the window). You (a middle aged male)... show more Is this inappropriate behavior? You are sitting on a long distance bus in Spain. There is an empty seat next to you. A mother with two children, a young boy (say 7 years old) and a young girl (say 6) eyes the empty seat and sits the young girl next to you (you are sitting by the window). You (a middle aged male) say hello to the young girl and her mother. The mother looks annoyed, rudely seizes the young girl away from the seat, and seats the young boy next to you instead. You start looking out the window and laugh loudly at this incident. When I told my Spanish friend about this I said that I found the mother's behavior rude, and he said that "in Spain, one never speaks to anyone's children like this". Was I innapropriate in giving a brief greeting here? I was not leering at the child as I remember.
8 answers 8