Eddi
Eddi asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 year ago

How do I tell my aging mother she can no longer handle her job as association treasurer without causing a fight?

My aging mother lives in an assisted living facility. She is the association treasurer. No one else wants the postion- there are about 300 residents. My mother does not want to lose control of her postion and is becoming more and more forgetful. She just told me she cannot find over $500 of cash gifts (we counted the money together this week) for the staff. I have to go over and search for the money tomorrow. My mother also told me we would have to go into her savings account to make up the difference if the money is lost (or stolen). I keep on asking her to resign the postion, and she refuses. There is a bank account involved that she has signature authority over. She was supposed to resign the postion this month, and she apparently has not done so. She is now fighting with the executive director. How do I convince my mother -- or demand that she give up this postion -- without causing a huge fight? I am worried that they are going to hold me accountable for the cash (I am her guarantor). or accuse me of stealing the cash, or even worst determine that my mom is alzheimer's (she is showing signs of early dementia) and move her into the memory care unit. What do I do here?

What are you her guarantor of? Talk to the executive director and make sure you aren't held responsible for her financials if she misplaces, loses or steals anything associated with her treasurer position. I doubt you would unless it stipulates it somewhere on any papers when she took the position. Once he gives you the all clear, tell your mother that since she admittedly thinks she can continue to handle this position, that she will be doing it alone. That means no visits to help her look for misplaced cash, no helping her with going over anything. She needs to be fit to do the job ALONE and if she thinks she can't, then she is unfit to hold the position at all and she needs to resign. This WILL cause drama but I think it's the only way she will understand she can't do this in the long run.

• Eddi
      1 year agoReport

Good. I agreed to go over there now and help her search for the cash. I also just told the Board President (her boyfriend) that she must no longer do this job. I will not take my mother to the bank to withdraw any more cash, and will tell her today that as of December 31 I cannot help.

i would nnove her into a nnennory care unit, and i wouldnt worry about it, the executive director will probably nnake her resign

the key is "No one else wants the position"

Leave her alone, let the association find out on their own.

Go to Family Court, have Mum adjudicated "Incompetent"

With the Power of Attorney, you can do what you want.

• Eddi
      1 year agoReport

The problem is they could accuse me of stealing the cash -- they know I took her to the bank last week. We withdrew over $11,000 in cash from the account for staff Christmas gifts, and I helped her put it in envelopes. Almost all was handed out. She told me she lost the last $500 tonight.