How do I tell my aging mother she can no longer handle her job as association treasurer without causing a fight?

My aging mother lives in an assisted living facility. She is the association treasurer. No one else wants the postion- there are about 300 residents. My mother does not want to lose control of her postion and is becoming more and more forgetful. She just told me she cannot find over $500 of cash gifts (we counted... show more My aging mother lives in an assisted living facility. She is the association treasurer. No one else wants the postion- there are about 300 residents. My mother does not want to lose control of her postion and is becoming more and more forgetful. She just told me she cannot find over $500 of cash gifts (we counted the money together this week) for the staff. I have to go over and search for the money tomorrow. My mother also told me we would have to go into her savings account to make up the difference if the money is lost (or stolen). I keep on asking her to resign the postion, and she refuses. There is a bank account involved that she has signature authority over. She was supposed to resign the postion this month, and she apparently has not done so. She is now fighting with the executive director. How do I convince my mother -- or demand that she give up this postion -- without causing a huge fight? I am worried that they are going to hold me accountable for the cash (I am her guarantor). or accuse me of stealing the cash, or even worst determine that my mom is alzheimer's (she is showing signs of early dementia) and move her into the memory care unit. What do I do here?
1 answer 1