Liberals and socialists would you keep the money if you became a billionaire? Ocasio-Cortez thinks it is immoral.?

Or would you follow the lead of Ocasio-Cortez and distribute the money to

Alabamans with ring worm? Wonder where she gets her ideas.

The altruism in the answers to my question is nauseating. Only Kelvin has it right. If you have $20 will you give it to the Alabamans with ring worm. Or spend it on beer.

• Zirp

It's virtually impossible for a true socialist to become a billionnaire [how would you do that without overexploiting many others??]. What would one do with that kind of wealth? Buy your own village?

• Mike L

If I had a billion dollars, I would donate and share probably about half of it to charities, friends, family, and organizations.

Only for a short time. I'd produce a film exposing the evils of conservatism so the GOP never wins another election

and also donate millions to help the needy and animal sanctuaries

A billion dollars is a lot, that is 1000 millions, way more than I could ever find a way to spend just on myself and my family, so I would find a good cause or charity to share at least 100 million. I could find a way to survive on the remaining 900 million. :)

With that much $, I should be paying at least 50% income tax...so I would lobby for that. I would also contribute to Democratic campaign funds...whoever runs against Rump. Yes, that would include generous donations to AOC and to Kamala Harris.

I would still advocate raising the top marginal tax rate, as Cortez has suggested. If I'm a billionaire, then paying a little more in taxes is expected.

Ringworm is by no means the biggest problem in Alabama.

I would donate a large chunk of it to charity, and still be a millionaire. I don't need billions of dollars, no one person does.

I would give it to AOC because she is our new moral leader. She tells us things we never understood before. She removes the scales from our eyes.

While other people were suffering in poverty? I wouldn't be able to spend billions on my own, so I would definitely seek to use my good fortune to help other people have a chance at a decent life. It's what any decent, moral human being would do.

• Yavan

I would never keep that much. There would be no point.

She is right. Billionaires are a world aristocracy that are making democracy impossible.

One of the events that really allowed the common man prosperity, dignity… a place at the table generally was the crisis of 1929: Where so much wealth was lost that normal people could breathe again. (in the longer run). The Great Depression is rarely cited, but it is a major factor in the rise of the middle class in the western world. When the ultra rich finally lost enough power, it became possible for more people to share in the decision-making and hence the wealth.

Now, we are back to conditions that are very close to those of pre-crisis time, with wealth being accumulated in very few hands.

• Yavan
      1 year agoReport

Neither will you. But you sure think kissing their butts will get you somewhere. I have more dignity than that.