Michelle asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 year ago

My mother was prescribed prednisone for her bursitis but she has previously had shinges in her life. Isit safe for her to take it for 6days?

She was prescribed prednisone for 6 days for bursitis of her hip but is nervous about taking it because she previously had shingles months ago. Should she take it??

If she's concerned consult the pharmacist or the prescribing doctor.

Please talk with her doctor. Prednisone is only prescribed for situations where other medications would not suffice. That said, only her physician can tell you why this choice was made. Shingles is surely a concern, but bursitis can severely limit a person's ability to function normally. Having taken prednisone many times in my life due to allergic reactions and other issues, I can only add that short bursts are much safer than a long term dosage.

If she was prescribed this medication I would say that it's safe her doctor considered the pros and cons of prescribing her such.

Yes she should take it.

It's just 6 days of prednisone

Source(s): I'm a RD.
  • kelvin

she should if the doctor prescribed it too her

• Laura

This is something she needs to talk to her doctor about.

We are not doctors. Even if we were, we do not have her medical records in front of us, so we couldn't make a good medical decision.

Call the doctor's office and ask to talk with the doctor's nurse, and go over her worries about the medication.

• Sal*UK

Its fine - its often prescribed for shingles but she should ask her doctor or pharmacist if she is worried.