So I received a tax penalty in 2018 for not having health insurance in 2017. However I just found out that I DID have insurance?

Alright, so when I filed my taxes in 2018 for the 2017 year I was penalized for not having health insurance. Only to find out I WAS insured and still am. Do I get reimbursed in some way for overpaying last year? And if so, how do I file that? Would I need to prove it? And if so, how would I prove it? Some of you... show more Alright, so when I filed my taxes in 2018 for the 2017 year I was penalized for not having health insurance. Only to find out I WAS insured and still am.

Do I get reimbursed in some way for overpaying last year? And if so, how do I file that? Would I need to prove it? And if so, how would I prove it?

Some of you might ask: "How did you not know that you had health insurance?". Well, I'm a young man new to filing taxes and my parents are divorced and have been for a while. And I didn't know I had health insurance until my Dad told me that I was under his plan recently.

Helpful answers are greatly appreciated!