Why do so many people act like you have to have a primary care Dr. decide if you should see a specialist?

I chose regular medicare, so I don't have to ask a primary Dr. if I can do anything. Do most people choose a plan where they have to waste time running to their primary Dr. to get permission for everything? I think this is not only dangerous, but it's a waste of time having to run to to two Drs. I honestly... show more I chose regular medicare, so I don't have to ask a primary Dr. if I can do anything. Do most people choose a plan where they have to waste time running to their primary Dr. to get permission for everything? I think this is not only dangerous, but it's a waste of time having to run to to two Drs. I honestly don't see how that can save money. Please explain how it does. Regular Drs. cannot do everything.
Update: My medigap does pay for me to go directly to a specialist, they have plenty of times. I don't need a referral. What a waste of time, and it's dangerous if something seriously is wrong because it causes someone to have to wait.
Update 2: I would think someone should be able to go to a cardiologist right away if they're having chest pains instead of waiting to get a primary care Dr. to say it's OK. This is too serious of a problem to delay.