Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 months ago

DO you know that Hiichens condemns all the atheists on here for silencing others??

t is not just the right of the person who speaks to be heard, it is the right of everyone in the audience to listen and to hear, and every time you silence somebody you make yourself a prisoner of your own action because you deny yourself the right to hear something. In other words, your own right to hear and be exposed is as much involved in all these cases as is the right of the other to voice his or her view.

Indeed as John Stuart Mill said: if all of society were agreed on the truth and beauty and value of one proposition, all except one person it would be most important, in fact it would become even more important, that that one heretic be heard because we would still benefit from his perhaps outrageous or appalling view.

Hitchens ends by saying to his audience, “You are giving away what is most precious in your own society.”

I don't believe anyone here has the power to 'silence' anyone, much as we might occasionally wish we could.

I absolutely agree that silencing opposing views is absurd and banning or forbidding such ideas is overall dangerous to society.

I do not know what this has to do with Atheists. I (an Atheist and ex Christian of 18yrs) oppose censorship of the free market of ideas as much as anyone here. Those people who do actually try to shut down others dissenting ideas by moving their questions and flagging legitimate questions I speak out against and am also the victim of by the Religious side. It is not an issue of believer vs unbeliever. It comes from both sides and quite frequently. It is disgusting behavior and I abhor it. The fact that I am an Atheist doesn't mean I want to shut down your speech, on the contrary, I support it even more as I know the history of those who killed Atheists simply because we dared to speak. Ripping a father away from the arms of his children and murdering him in front of them in the name of a merciful and good God. I have a mouth to speak and I welcome you to speak as well.

• bluebellbkk

@Coltrane, what do you mean by 'self-identification', and how can it 'silence' anyone? If people choose to 'think' someone doesn't want to discuss something, that is very, VERY far from being 'silenced'.

How can you be silenced? Y'all never shut up.

Ironically I've been blocked by dozens of religious folks but have only blocked two.

• 9 months agoReport

You must always be the star SIGH

NO BUT THANKS for sharing.

• Rayal

Free speech is free speech. Hitchens has no special place in recommending polite listening and then refuting what you disagree with.

• bluebellbkk

Just BTW, please look up 'refute' in a dictionary. It is not synonymous with 'deny'.

Please do tell how atheists silence others on here.

No, I don't. I don't believe he said anything about all the atheists on here. Whom are we supposed to be silencing?

• I learned many years ago that the folks like Jea and Juli , who despise someone for what they THINK and attribute BAD WILL to them for thinking it, are the ones least able to discuss. But you must wonder whether they truly hate many of the people they meet, whose faith they DO NOT KNOW ABOUT

Lol as if Hitchens cares about what a pig or other angry bitter internet atheists say

• Rayal

You sound bitter yourself. Most of us don't care what some 3d party *Hitchens, says or doesn't say. He may write books and is a speaker but he does not speak for us like some Atheist Pope.