Does anyone still listen to Jazz on 78rpms?

Sure. My grandpa has a whole store where he sells antique Victrolas he's restored. All they play are 78s. The bad thing about 78s--they spin so damn fast that you only get at most about 5 or 6 minutes of play, so you are constantly having to change the records. That's why 78s are basically all singles. If you have two short songs, you can fit two on a side, but not normally. Incidentally, the 78 is why songs in pop music last 3 to 5 minutes. 78s created the industry standard that persisted through the 45 and exist to today.

yeah, i've got some jazz 78s. although my collecting focus for 78s is mostly rhythm and blues and jump blues and what jazz i do have is mostly guys like cab calloway, armstrong, bix and lionel hampton.

• Mike

Not often, although I have plenty of 78s. There are 2 major problems:

1. The tone arm on a Victrola is heavy and the needle digs into the record surface. You're supposed to change the needle after every couple of records. I omitted that step and played a nice 1920s red Perfect record, and I could see the needle plowing up red dust.

2. When LPs first came out, the tone arm was lighter and you could flip the needle over depending on whether you were playing LPs or EPs (microgrooves) or 78s. Now you can't find a tone arm like that. They only hold needles to play microgroove records. The sound you get when you play a 78 is not good and I suspect the needle damages the surface.