Would I get a ticket for accidentally spilling at the gas station?

My dad gave me the job of filling up the car with ; he rushed me. I freaked out and spill some gas on to the floor. He yelled at me because we might get a ticket. All I wanted to do was learn and help him. I didn't mean this to happen and now I feel depressed and scared.

• Ron

No one issues tickets for spilling gas unless you have a barrel of it and you dump it on the road

You won't get any ticket. Next time, since you already know that rushing causes spills, wait for the gas to all flow out the hose before removing it from the car. Next time watch him do it and if he spills some ask him why it spilled. After you get up from being knocked the shight out of for being sassy, agree with him and get back in the car.

Might in New Jersey, Portland Oregon(?)-- no self service under law there because of fire hazard and some lethal fires. Evansto, Illinois is/was another local ordinance no-no place- fire across from courthouse and damaged court rooms.

• ?

Jesus, do you and your dad live in North Korea or something? Then tell him to chill out.

Petroleum fuel (aka gasoline) is an extremely hazardous material, no question about it. In addition to being flammable, it's also slightly corrosive, extremely poisonous and environmentally dangerous. But spilling a few drops at a gas station is not going to get you charged with anything.

If the guy who fills the station's underground tanks causes a spill, he's getting a huge fine and so is his employer. Or if the truck leaks fuel down the road, huge fine for the driver and the employer. If the guy (or company) that owns the station allows their fuel to leak into the ground, they get a huge fine plus they pay all the cleanup costs.

But you, you're not professionally trained to work with the stuff, which means you're not held to the same expectations. You're a kid who spilled a little while helping dad fill up the tank, so you get a free pass.

NOTE: If you deliberately held the nozzle out and squirted fuel all over the ground, that's a different story entirely.

• Pete L

If he's going to shout at you for making a mistake, tell him to do it himself next time. Ask him if he'd like it if you shouted at him for his mistakes!

Gas is a gas, it will quickly evapourate. End of problem

• ?

Technically, it's considered a hazardous spill - but unless you poured gallons on the ground (not floor, a floor is indoors) it should evaporate quickly.

• bo

no. chill you're fine. next time tell dad to leave you alone

Highly unlikely; the stuff evaporates eventually, and anything that was spilled was paid for. None of this justifies calling in the law-enforcement guys.

nope