How to get started in the Music Business as a Musician?

Just as the question says. I am a Sax player and have always been told that I should be playing professionally. I have a lot to learn (currently taking lessons in Jazz), and think that I am not ready. I have been thinking recently to take a chance, but don't know where to start.

• John

How often do you practice while standing out on a street corner with your open case in front of you, for tips? If the answer is zero, maybe you miss the point of what a musician actually is.

• Mike

Aren't there garage bands any more?

If your sax professor at a top music conservatory tells you that you should be playing professionally - great. If friends and Gramma tell you this - does not really count. So get the best instruction you can, and consider majoring in Jazz studies in a good college. Listen to all the great players in the last century! If you are still in HS, then compete for your state-wide jazz band. The are MILLIONS of sax players like you - you cannot expect to excel unless you put in serious amounts of study and work. This will take a long time, and you will need a decent job in some other area that will PAY for normal life plus the EXPENSE of trying to become a musician. None of us who do this, fell into it. We all studied for many years, worked our way up. They are no short cuts - so start today with the finest teacher you can find. Good luck - this will not be easy.