Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsTennis · 1 year ago

How do you, personally, identify a competitive tennis player on an every day court?

Without asking him obviously.

I mean, what, in your observation about the player's playing makes you think "He's pretty good, probably plays competitive or organized tennis somewhere" vs "Just a casual player dinking it back and fourth?"

Me, personally, if I see someone on the court who's got basic serve form down (which is tough to get without formal instruction) and a decently powerful forehand with good spin, I'll assume they may play or have played formally.

• DIEGO.

this is a good question!

As a former D1 college player and a coach myself, I can tell when someone is a decent tennis player. I can usually tell the age around when they started playing. A lot of it is in the technique and how natural it looks. People who haven't played since they were kids always have at least 1 thing off on the technique on a basic forehand, let alone the serve. Another thing you can tell by is their footwork. Beginners have awkward and unbalanced footwork, while the decent players know how to move on the court. Another way I can tell if someone is a beginner or not without them even hitting a ball is how they hold their racquet. I don't necessarily mean the grip (continental, western, etc. ), I mean how they interact with it. Beginners look really awkward interacting with their racquet. Those who have played for years and especially those who have been playing since they were kids can do the tango with their racquets. haha

Hope that helps :P

You can tell by how they focus on their shot, and their technique. Check out whether they swing through/step into their shots or not. If they only use their arms, they're not very experienced.

• Chuck

One doesn't look at "everyday" tennis courts. You look at *tournament results.*