Tips for potty training boy?

Anyone have tips on potty training my 2.5 year old son?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • PR
    Lv 7
    1 year ago
    Favourite answer

He is still young. Don't push the subject. You can use a little chart that has spaces for stickers. Each time he is successful, he gets a sticker. When he gets a certain amount, such as 9 stickers, he gets a small toy.

The more you try, the harder it will get.

Our son decided to train himself when he entered preschool, and was expected to be trained. He entered (at age 3), not fully trained, although it was a co-op preschool, so I was there part of the time. But, it was time in his own mind, and he did what he had to do.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 year ago

Reward him when it goes to the bathroom

• 1 year ago

Age does not determine when a child is ready to use the toilet, their brain development does.

Allow your child to be READY when he is ready, not when you are ready for him to be ready to potty train.

• He's still young yet. Wait until he's ready. The more you try and force him to use the potty, the harder it will be for him to learn to use it. I learned the hard way. With both of my older kids (who are 4 & 5, and my 4 year old just started going on his own), we introduced the potty too early, which delayed their development on actually being potty trained.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pippin
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

He's still on the young side of 'average' for potty training, but if he is showing signs of being ready, you could try 'naked training' -- you let him run around bare with a potty near-by. When he pees (or shows signs that he's about to) you suggest he try the potty. If he IS ready, he should catch on quickly.

• 1 year ago

You wait until he's ready.

No amount of rewards or punishment is going to mature his bladder more quickly or make him produce the correct hormones. You can't force a child to be ready.

Once they're ready, there's no actual training involved. They feel the pressure to go and they go. It takes a day or two to put it all together.

• Tulip
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Wait till he's really ready

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.