Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 1 year ago

Will phone become as powerful as modern laptops and pcs?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • WB
    Lv 7
    1 year ago
    Favourite answer

Yes.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Who
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

as they are now/ - then yes

but they will also have moved on, so your phone will still be behind

remember 1 thing - there is a limit to how much electronics you can put in a smallish phone and how big a battery it can have - but you can put the same (and more) electronics into a laptop and even more into a pc

so a phone will never "catch up"

(a modern smart phone has more power than the computers used in the apollo rocket sent to the moon)

• 1 year ago

They already are as powerful as some laptops. My iPhone has better speakers than my old Dell laptop, the display is better (smaller, but better). Adding a memory stick to a smart phone vastly improves the amount of storage, and there are simple screens that can make the display look larger.

• 1 year ago

Yes, almost in today we already all of our word done from phone rather switch on laptop's and Pc's.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

No. Because 'modern' laptops and PCs will always be several steps ahead of phone. 10 years from now the 'modern' laptop and PC will be more powerful than the phone you'll be using with that laptop or PC. Now, if you take that phone 10 years from now and benchmark it against the best laptop we have right now, then yeah, it's possible the phone will beat it.

The best laptop would have to be built with sticks and stones to NOT be better than the best available phone.

• ello1 year agoReport

By modern I mean will phones become more advanced in the future than current high end pcs

• 1 year ago

To what are you referring when you say "pcs"? Macs, tablets and Windows computers both in laptop and desktop formats can be designed for use by one person at a time. These are all personal computers (PCs). Compare these with computers that provide service to multiple users simultaneously. These are servers.

To answer the question. It is quite likely that phones may become as powerful as modern PCs (both desktop and laptop). However, by the time the phones achieve that level of performance, top end laptops and desktops will have jumped further forward and probably by a substantial amount.

• 1 year ago

Your question is unclear.

the best computers are far better than even the best phones but the best phones are better than some computers. an obvious limitation of a phone is the size so whatever processing power you could fit into that you could fit more into a computer.

if you mean will phones get better than high end computers now the answer is maybe, but it would take a very long time and require very big advances in size technology

• SRΛSC
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

In some respects they already have, at least on the Apple side with their Apple A-Series processors in the iPhone & iPad.

Can't remember it specifically but the performance benchmark scores meet or beat a MacBook from 1-2 years prior.

• 1 year ago

phones in the same generation will never be as powerful as a desktop of the same generation

now phones can easily be more powerful than old laptops/desktops, right now they are about equal to a low end 2003 computer in raw performance.

performance increases about 15-20% every year for computer hardware while phone hardware is much slower (about 10-15%)

generally manufacturers focus energy efficiency over power for phones

so new phones generally out perform computers from the 90s

in say 10 years they should be more powerful than low end computers today.

unless thy figure out how to increase the performance by 300% from the previous year for a few years it wont match desktops

my desktop is EASILY as powerful as 100 modern smartphones, if i include the GPU performance.

that is just RAW performance aka a benchmark

performance per watt phones already out perform most desktops and many laptops (laptops and desktops require much more power than a phone)

my computer uses more than 200 times the power for that performance increase. (most modern phones use about 2.5 watts of power at max usage, my computer easily eats 500 watts and can be pushed past that

power usage is like this

phone>tablet>laptop>desktop>server

performance is like this

phone<tablet<laptop<desktop<server

• 1 year ago

I believe that it already is.

• What phone does ray-tracing or AutoCAD or a 10,000 cell Excel spreadsheet? Or runs Battlefield 4, while playing a movie, encoding a video, running a network simulator, checking e-mail, on 5 screens while projecting wirelessly through a projector and saving IP camera video stream to a hard drive?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.