can I apply for for disabled if I am on SS already do to a change in health?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Kini
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Maybe you can work.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • RICK
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

No

If you are already old enough to draw regular SS you do not qualify for disability

• Judith
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

If you are of full retirement age or older then no - there is no such thing as a disability benefit once someone reaches full retirement age. In fact if someone is receiving disability benefits when they reach full retirement age they are automatically converted to a retirement benefit with no change in income.

You can go to ssa.gov and find out what your full retirement age is - for people who are age 62 this year their full retirement age is 66 years and 2 months.

There is a 5 month waiting period in which no disability benefits are paid. So if you are disabled and are more than 5 months before your full retirement age you can file for social security benefits. Although disability is normally an unreduced benefit it will be reduced for any month in which you received a retirement benefit before the disability kicks in.

There can be up to 12 months retroactivity for a disability claim. If you are 12 months beyond your full retirement age then there would be no disability due you.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

Yes, you can.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

You will still receive the same amount.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

no

• 1 year ago

i dont see why not

• Judith
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

There is no such thing as a social security disability benefit once someone reaches full retirement age which is currently age 66 and 2 months. As for SSI there is no such thing as disability once someone reaches age 65 - they are then entitled to SSI Aged benefits.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.