christian: If your child came home and asked you to get them a qur'an, so they could learn abouts Islam What would you do?

I would get him a Quran, of course, and discuss it with him while he was reading it to keep him from being led astray.

• Tony B

I'd assume they meant an English translation.

I'd tell them that they were welcome to borrow my copy but if they wanted their own they could afford to buy it themselves.

I think I'd also point out that if they wanted to learn ABOUT Islam they'd be better off buying a book explaining the religion to non-Muslims than reading the Qur'an itself. Again, I have a couple of books I could loan them.

let him get his own, if he's that motivated to learn about other religions

• David

I'd tell them where they can buy a copy, then give them a book about how it conflicts with my Christian faith.

I'd first show them a few passages like the ones below.

Q.8:12 “I will instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off.”

Q.5:33 “The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution (by beheading), or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter;”

Q.9:123 “Oh ye who believe! Murder those of the disbelievers and let them find harshness in you.”

Q.2:191 “Kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from wherever they drove you out.”

Q.2:193 “Fight them on until there is no more tumult and religion becomes that of Allah”

Then I would tell them that before I let them read it, they have to promise not to harm anyone in anyway, no matter what the book tells them to do.

Get her a Qu'ran.

I'm not a Christian, but first I'd be very confused about how I suddenly had a child. But really, if I had a kid and they asked me to get them a Qur'an I'd pull out the one on the bookshelf and hand it to them.

We already have one. I have a collection of religious texts from many different religions on my bookshelf. The Koran, the Tao Te Ching, the Gnostic texts, the Dhammapada, etc...

But I'm not Christian, I'm atheist...

I’d read it with them.

• Mike

Get them one, as well as a Bible, Bhavagad Gita, and a Book of Mormon.