Is it economically practical to grow your own produce when you live in a city?

I live in town, and have a very small lot, about 40 " by 100". I would like to grow my own produce because 1. My food budget is about $125.00 a month, and I would like to eat healthier, and 2. I would like to know where my food is coming from, and to use netting rather than chemicals to control... show more I live in town, and have a very small lot, about 40 " by 100". I would like to grow my own produce because 1. My food budget is about $125.00 a month, and I would like to eat healthier, and 2. I would like to know where my food is coming from, and to use netting rather than chemicals to control insects. But I am wondering if this is practical, or if it would end up costing me more money, especially in the beginning. The soil is poor, sandy and clay, so I have been bringing in topsoil as I can afford it. I have a shingle roof, and have read you shouldn't use rain barrels to collect rainwater for produce if you have a shingle roof. So there would be the expense of watering. I am able to track my water usage, and after only two days of watering the grass, my usage has gone from "efficient," about 28 gallons a day to "on target, " with consumption about 175 gallons on the two days I watered my lawn. There would also be the cost of fencing to keep rabbits, deer, and maybe fox and turkeys (if they like berries, and corn too. I have no idea.) out of the garden. And of course, the cost of the seeds and berry bushes. Would it be cheaper to just continue to buy my produce? I bought a little carton of blueberries at Walmart the other day, and it was $5.00!!!