If the father has eczema, will my daughter have it too?

I asked a doctor but in the country where I am people don't really suffer from it, people don't even know what it is, I don't talk to the father of the baby so I can't ask him. I have been reading articles on how to take care of eczema in case that she gets it but I don't really know anything about it.

• Kerri

Eczema is an autoimmune disorder and like all autoimmune disorders, tends to run in families. Almost all my relatives on my moms side have an autoimmune disease. Some have eczema, some thyroid disease, some have lupus or diabetes (both autoimmune), and one aunt has pernicious anemia meaning her body can’t absorb vitamin b from food. Your daughter isn’t absolutely going to get it because her father has it, but there’s a risk. Care of eczema mostly involves keeping any eczema rash spots clean and well moisturized. Child’s laundry soap, bath soap, shampoos and lotions should be hypoallergenic. Short lukewarm baths and avoiding getting to hot are also helpful. Child’s nails kept short and clean to prevent infection from scratching and a diet high in healthy oils and fats are good.

Source(s): Six year granddaughter has eczema but it doesn’t slow her down or bother her at all.

The very latest research says that eczema is an allergy, related to the microbiome. That is why people in the same family get it. Now it is no longer considered genetic.

Offspring recapitulates for bearer! Outward you may appear like your mother and father.

but your genetic characteristics will be what your grandmother and grandfather were. Whatever strengths and weaknesses they had will manifest.

Maybe not

Not always acne and eczema might have some genetic component but you might not get it

• Kaz

If your doctor doesn't know about it, you should find another doctor. Eczema is very common, don't think it's hereditary.

Not necessarily. I have it and nobody else in my family does, including my children. Nobody knows what causes it.

• elisa1 year agoReport

Thank you so much!