What is recycled water?

I am playing an environmental game on my phone. It told me that there was a drought and asked if I wanted to force people to drink recycled water

Recycled water is the process of converting wastewater into water that can be reused for other purposes.

Recycled water is highly treated wastewater that has been filtered to remove solids and other impurities as well as disinfected by a water treatment plant. ... Several other terms are also used for recycled water, including reclaimed water, effluent water, treated effluent water and treated sewage water.

They're probably referring to, in essence, cleaned (thoroughly cleaned, of course) sewage, rather than water taken from rivers, aquifers, or other presumably clean sources.

Pretty much all the water you drink is recycled. Sometimes the recycling is long-term (Drinking water that passed through a dinosaur's kidneys), sometimes short term. During a drought, I calculated the flow of a stream at the water company's intake and compared it to the effluent from two wastewater treatment plants upstream. The figures were almost equal.