No asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 6 months ago

Why do some men say they believe in TRADITIONAL GENDER ROLES?

But then if a woman says she wants to become housewife, then they call her gold digger, no ambition, lazy, loser?

Lol wth??

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Best answer

Well, someone has to stay at home with the kids

• 6 months ago

Men are lazzzzzzzyyyy

• Jack
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

"Why do some men say they believe in TRADITIONAL GENDER ROLES?"

I suspect because they remember how well society functioned like 50 years ago, and they believe that socially held gender roles played a significant part in that. Say what you will, but the nuclear family was probably the greatest family unit we in the Western world have ever known.

"But then if a woman says she wants to become housewife, then they call her gold digger, no ambition, lazy, loser?"

I suppose it's possible that "some men" do in fact view housewives in that manner...however I certainly have never known any men who view them in that manner.

I do however believe that men who work outside of the home expect that if they have a "housewife," she should attend to the housework if he is the one out working and earning the money that keeps them housed and fed.

And frankly in this day and age, with the technology we have in the developed world, I believe that is entirely reasonable!

• 6 months ago

Are these the same guys? This seems like two different view points. Some people believe in traditional gender roles (not just men) and some people believe in progressive roles (not just women)

Generally they are opposing views.

If there is one person telling you both than that person seems to pick and choose their arguments for what suits them best and has not yet identified their own personal beliefs on the issue.

It could happen where they do believe in traditional roles but the person they are speaking of is a gold digger and only wants to relax at home and spend the money in that case it is their experience with that person that has things jumbled.

House keeping isn’t a lazy task. Cooking and cleaning and caring for the kids (if there are any) is a big job as I say who ever is doing it do the best that you can, be proud of your out put!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

There are a lot of men out there and the ones wanting stay-at-home wives may not be the same ones complaining about their wives not earning money. However, clearly if any man held both these views it would be hypocrisy.

• 6 months ago

Why do women want to be equal to men than turn around and demand men pay for dinner, rent, bills and ect??

Why do women want to be equal to men but tell men to walk away after a women assaults him?

Why do women want to be equal to men but demand men put their own interest aside to accomodate the needs of women?

From my experience it's usually women who demand the rights of a man while seeking to retain the benefits of being a women.

If women don't want to be held to trational gender roles that is fine but don't turn around and comdemn men for not wanting to meet masculine expections. Don't turn around and start lecturing men what about a "real man" is.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Traditional guys don't call women gold diggers because they want to be a housewife. A traditional guy will only call a woman a gold digger if he believes she only cares about money.

• 6 months ago

Some people are just @ssh0les...

• 6 months ago

Properly raising children is one of the most difficult and demanding jobs that anyone could ever undertake. But if all you do is sit home with no children to look after, then that really is lazy, in my opinion. The USA birth rate has dropped to ~1.6 babies per woman's lifetime, while it takes 2.1 to maintain the population and prevent decline. We need more women who are ok with giving birth and raising children, in my humble opinion.

• Foofa
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

That fact that it costs so much to raise a child is part of the problem. Parents of both genders would love to stay home if it didn't require two incomes to keep a household afloat. Much of the country can't even use the bad public schools their taxes pay for and that's a HUGE expense.

• 6 months ago

They don't use those words for housewives.

In my experience, it's radical feminists who demean such women in that way.

If you disagree, please provide an example of a man who has ever said he believed in traditional gender roles, and then called an aspiring housewife a "golddigger." I won't hold my breath.

• Foofa
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Pretty much every guy who insisted his wife stay at home then divorced her and has to pay alimony (because she's now unemployable, having no recent resume') has said this. The stay-at-home wife is fine while the kids are young but it's not like you can go start a new career at 50+.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.