Willy asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 7 months ago

Would you let your 14 year old daughter and her 14 year old friend wander around a heavily populated public beach?

My daughter wants to come to the beach for a couple days with me and my boyfriend and we are letting her and her friend come along.

The other night she started setting ground rules about what she's going to do and I told her no I'm the parent you're going to have to follow our ground rules.

She basically wants to wander around the beach with her friend on her own. Out of sight out of mind basically. When I told her it was okay for her to wander with her friend as long as they were within sight she had a big issue with that and said she wants to go where she wants when she wants.

It turned into a big thing and she got a really bad attitude instead of just being grateful about going to the beach.

It's just too big of a beach and there's just way too many people and creeps and homeless people for me to be ok with that.

Am i right?

Sounds like she's having a rebellious phase, can you compromise? She can go off on her own for ten minutes at a time then she must call/ text/ come back to you and your partner. If the other commenters are correct and she was planning an inappropriate activity with said friend, ask her why she's so keen to be left alone with him/her. My parents allowed me to walk on populated beaches to my hearts content- with friends and boy/girl friends. it's all about trust and being approachable for your daughter and her friend.

She probably wants the freedom to meet boys there.

It sounds like she had something nefarious planned since she's getting upset over not being able to go off on her own. Keep an eye on them or if she continues to give attitude tell her she doesn't have to go at all

Tell her she can't go if she goes she has to do as you say she probably trying to run off to drink or have sex something like that you never know.

I think it’s ok she’s not a little kid anymore I’ve wandered around the crowded Jersey shore at 14 years old with friends

you are entirely correct Good for you.

If you were REALLY a parent you wouldn't ask this question. And if i had a daughter who got all argumentative, she'd just stay home with a babysitter or at a relative's house that day. I don't let my kids walk all over me, and don't need a bunch of defiance and aggravation in my life from a fourteen year-old

rnaybe you shouldnt let her go to the beach with you if shes going to be like that

You are VERY RIGHT. If you are the parent, you MUST MAKE HER mind you, if she goes off and gets raped and murdered, you will blame yourself for the rest of your life. She and her friend want to 'find guys' to play around with, obviously. She'd end up pregnant in the best of cases, dead in the worst of cases.

We did this when we were kids, mid late 90s. I dont know maybe you cant do that anymore..