Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 6 months ago

Why the suicide rate is rising in America, but medicine for people who suffer with suicide is getting better?

Suicide rate now is the highest it's been since the great depression. Suicide rate now is 14.5 per 100,000. During the great depression era it was around 15.0 per 100,000. But since the 1930s, medicine for people who are dealing with depression has gotten way more advance, but the death rate is still growing. My sister committed suicide recently.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Best answer

Guns, alcohol and prescription sedatives are far more accessible and affordable now then they were at any other time in American history - including the Great depression. Simply put, it's far easier to off yourself these days.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

If you "suffer with suicide" then a pill is not going to cure being dead.

• 6 months ago

the world is going through a lot right now. social media. bullying.

• 6 months ago

First of all, I am very sorry to learn about your sister. I have never had to deal with such a situation personally, but I suspect there are various factors. The medicines may be better, but getting people to recognize they have a problem, to seek help, to be prescribed the correct combinations of medications, and then to be persistent and take them as directed, are all things that must be considered.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Bill
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

would you not consider it is because the people have everything and there is no real need to try any more

the MEME society is turning inwards and seeing that there is nothing inside instead of looking out side and see that they can help less fortunate people

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Psychiatric Meds haven’t gotten any more effective. They’re all still focused on increasing Serotonin, Dopamine and Norepinephrine, just like they were in the 1960’s. Only starting with Prozac, newer Antidepressants are more difficult to overdose on than older Antidepressants.

• 6 months ago

It's because any medicine can't stop suicide.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Because we are in a great depression. the real unemployment rate is almost 30%. real gdp has been falling since 2001.

edit: Sircjalot look up shadowstats. real unemployment is not 4%. not even close

• Sircjalot6 months agoReport

Lol, get your statistics right. Unemployment is down to 4%

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Sexual frustration. No one dares say it, but average/below average men aren’t getting their most important needs met.

• Chris6 months agoReport

Women are more depressed than men, so there's more to it than that. But yes in men's case, that is a part of it.

• yodi
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

overpopulation, just ask rats

• Mark
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Probably because a lot of people with mental health problems don't seek help

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.