Is "Happy Voting!" correct English?

Is it correct to say "Happy Voting!"? Or should I say "Happy Voting Day."...?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

Voting is an action that does not generate happiness in the sense that you would say 'Happy Birthday'.

• RP
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

It may be technically correct, but voting is not something typically associated with either happiness or displeasure.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

I suppose you could say "happy voting" to someone headed to the polls, as you might say "happy shopping" to someone headed to the supermarket, though neither is very likely. If you're referring to the day, as you might say "happy Halloween," you would say "happy Election Day."

• 9 months ago

If only voting were a happy occasion. You definitely can say it (people just do not). Nothing wrong with wishing us for it to be happy, but it isn't usually something we look at with happiness. Perhaps we ought to. It is a privilege, not a burden. At least that is what it ought to be. Happy voting!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

It's an unusual thing to say, but it's perfectly correct English.

• John P
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Yes, it is "grammatically correct", but.... In Britain in over 60 years I have never heard anybody wishing anybody "Happy Voting" or "Happy Voting Day". It is simply not something which anybody says. I have never come across any sort of greeting such as you think might exist. We simply get on with the act of voting, or we campaign for a political party, or we cannot be bothered to vote.

Incidentally, the day itself is known as "Election Day" in which the action of any individual person is "voting".

• 9 months ago

That is an example of positive thinking.

• gerald
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

no its not a happy occasion sorry look what we get

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.