?
? asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 year ago

Can I obstruct justice if I impede an investigation into an alleged crime which I didn't commit?

The law says yes, so why do Trump supporters deny it?

So by your definition every single police officer, district attorney, ADA and judge is guilty of obstruction...gee that makes sense

• Katz22

Yes, interfering with an investigation is obstruction of justice.

Barr, or sources close to him, have said that it cannot. I'd encourage them to look at Rachel Maddow's allegory of a police officer catching a criminal and the main character tripping the officer up- this, according to the thinking of the decision, is not illegal, but they're only still within the law if the officer eventually catches the criminal.

There is evidence all over the place that Donald Trump has committed multiple crimes and that the lifts-wearing (5'10" pretending to be tall) conman Trump remains on a course of criminality as well as ongoing obstructions of justice. If one reads the Mueller report in its entirety, then the four-page "summary" provided by the latest Trump "toady" (yes-man) Attorney General (in name only) William Barr is woefully misleading as to the contents of the two-volume detailed report. As stated by Robert Mueller, Trump is neither exonerated nor accused, and the reason given for not accusing is that Mueller felt this was a job for Congress. Mueller thought it would be unfair to accuse a target of an investigation of criminality if that person was not interviewed by the investigators and given a chance to offer a defense, or words to this effect. He left the case open and put it into Congress's hands.

The ongoing Trump refusal to release his telltale tax returns is obstruction of justice.

Even if it happens that the crime being investigated never took place, that the whole thing was a misunderstanding or a hoax, if you've sought to impede or undermine the official investigation into the matter then you're guilty of obstructing justice.

Perhaps. One could say that just because I am convinced I didn't commit a crime doesn't mean that's the case. Of course, if I didn't think I committed a crime, then why would there be any action on my part where that could be construed as my motivation? Isn't intent important?

• ?
      1 year agoReport

I may fear that other dirty dealings of mine may become known to the general public.