Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 6 months ago

When are kids too old for be spanked?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

At birth! Hitting a child is very weak and cowardly parenting. Such assault is illegal in many civilised countries. Would you not prefer your child's respect? Read the parenting books! Especially perhaps “How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk” by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish

• Alan H
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Why use violence against anyone of any age?

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Anything beyond about four is dicey. The only reason a swat should be used is to stop a small, largely pre-verbal child in the act of doing something dangerous. It should never be psychological torture (the old "go cut me a switch" or "wait until your dad gets home" kind of thing). So yeah, once a kid is old enough to understand words you should dispense with the physical punishment.

• 6 months ago

Then the relationship involved is too far gone and needs to be re established. I was never ever spanked as a kid. The ones seeking negative attention have trauma or unmet needs that are not being met. They are looking for attention the opposite of positive. Spanking isn't doing any good for anyone. It makes people hate. What is the sense of that. Action of removing the child from the area or thing, or being assertive and doing what you say you will do, and meaning what you say. In other words, make sure they know 'no means no'. They are looking for boundaries not smacks and bashes. That 50's style of parenting went out the windows .

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

SPANKING IS ABUSE AT ANY AGE

SOMEONE REPORT THEM

• Michael S6 months agoReport

I spank my girlfriend whenever she is naughty. I guess I am abusing my girlfriend according to your logic.

• hooray
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

Spanking, or "beating" as it is known by non-apologists, is never appropriate, except between consenting adults for their own pleasure. As a method of child oppression, whoops I mean "discipline", it is always wrong, no exceptions.

My father found out how effective his methods were when I was 15 and left him in a groaning heap on the kitchen floor.

• 6 months ago

I would say maybe around 10. My oldest is 11 and I haven’t spanked her in a couple years. My other 3 get spankings when needed still.

• 6 months ago

Spanking should be avoided unless the child is doing something that will endanger their lives. Like leaving the house without telling anyone and thinking they have a right to do so.

So, spanking is an option after they become aware of their own desires, and loses it's necessity when they can be reasoned with. An exact age is hard to render and depends on the individual child.

If you can explain to a child why their behavior is not acceptable and they can understand and adhere to the advice, the need to spank has passed.

• 6 months ago

Parents actually spank kids nowadays? I'm 16 and my parents never spanked me.

• 6 months ago

I’m still waiting to get one! Doesn’t have to be a relative, I hope.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.