Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 year ago

Why do atheists always say: "oh-my-god" when something bad is about to happen?

Please do not say that this question is stupid. I've been working on it all day.

It

Isn't it like any other derogatory words people of all religions use either when surprised or angry? This question is far from stupid. Whether things are going good or bad, our Creator's name is used. Never do we hear "Damn Satan!" Never do we hear "Satan damn it!" Satan has worked very hard at turning people away from God and blaming God for every bad thing that happens in their lives. Satan told the very first lie and lies permeate the world today. Who is Satan? Satan is the spirit creature who is the chief adversary of Jehovah God and of all who worship the true God. (Yes, just as the Devil has a name, humans have names, plants have names, animals, birds and fish have names so too, God has a name.) The name Satan was given to him because of his becoming a resister of Jehovah. Satan is also known as the Devil, because he is the foremost slanderer of God. Satan is described as the original serpent, evidently because of his using a serpent in Eden to deceive Eve, and for this reason "serpent" cam to signify "deceiver." In the book of Revelation, the symbolism of a devouring dragon is also applied to Satan. There are many more subjects that the Bible teaches us about. I invite you to learn about a few of them. Go to the international website, jw.org and Bible Teachings > Bible Questions Answered. Watch videos such as: Does God have a Name? (Ps.83:18) What is God's Kingdom? (Daniel 2:44) Why did God Create the Earth? (Genesis 1:26-30 and Psalms 115:16) Why did Jesus Die? (Matthew 20:28 and John 3:16) and Why Study the Bible? (Isaiah 48:17+18 and 2 Timothy 3:16+17) If you believe what you learned, you can request your free personal Bible study online or from the next witness who knocks on your door or by visiting your neighborhood Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. There is never a collection taken and all are welcome. Thank you for this question.

Because it's become a common saying. We Agnostics don't believe in any particular religion either, but we also use "Jesus-Christ", and "Go to Hell". Atheists and Agnostics in the West also celebrate Easter and Christmas; because by this point both these holidays have become more than just religious holidays, like Ramadan is for Muslims; they've both become cultural holidays in the West, the same as Halloween is in October.

Not sure

I don't ever say that because I'm careful to not be a hypocrite. I generally prefer scatological curses.

It's just a figure of speech. Some people also say "oh my stars"...it doesn't mean they own any stars.

Because it's just a common expression. It's like if I use the phrase "holy f***ing $hit" I'm not literally referring to a fornicating deific pile of excrement.

• FlagMichael
      1 year agoReport

Probably better if we don't visualize that!

• Jeremy

For the same reason Christians use day names based on Thor and Freya. Just part of the vernacular that exists in their culture, not a recognition of any supernatural beings.

I actually only use that expression when I am in the middle of defecating now. It seems appropriate

I've said it during a good thing before.

It's a cultural thing. Although I have intentionally cultivated the habit of replacing the word god with goddess, just for my own amusement.