do u prefer a manual or automatic transmission and why?

28 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago
    Favourite answer

manual. i prefer it bc it gives me more control over the car, feels good and is more fun top drive. I enjoy driving and collect cars. I don't drive to get from one place to the next. I drive bc I enjoy it. I live half the time in nyc and London and don't drive there bc its no fun and not necessary. the other half the year I like to race cars and tour around Europe a stick is just more fun.

• FlagMichael
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Enjoy the ride! Around the million mile mark I no longer enjoyed driving at all (my Lotus days are long past) and now I avoid driving when I can. Too much adventure, and not always in good ways.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

I prefer manual transmission because I don't do a lot of city driving. Sticks are way more fun to drive and have better control. Unfortunately I don't currently own one but would love to get a Jeep Compass or Wrangler or Toyota Tacoma with a 6 speed manual to put fun back into my driving!

• 1 year ago

im lazy most people r. so we drive automatic

• F
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

I don't mind either way unless it's a CVT. They are awful especially if it's a hybrid too.. I also don't understand the arguement that you are more in control in a manual. Surely having one hand off the wheel half the time is not good for control.

• Anon
      Lv 6
      1 year agoReport

Older cars had three on the tree. Your right hand was only 3" from wheel. I saw one on the street just last Sat. eel.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

My first car was an automatic and it was a POS Oldsmobile the transmission slipped, was repaired and started failing again shortly. After that I drove 4 speed stick and 5 speed motorcycles from 1970 to 1992. Loads of fun and I changed my clutches as needed- easy with RWD or wet multiplate clutches. Been driving automatics from '92 to the present. Bulletproof, except for one md904 that decided to earp up its guts on the highway, but that was an easy swap. Don't think I'll go back to stick, but I can if I need to. What it comes down to is vacations with cruise control, or city stop and go drudgery. I love blasting 85 mph across Wyoming and Utah and hate creeping around the S.F. Bay Area stop n go.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Automatic cause they are faster and easier

• Lv 5
      1 year agoReport

An auto in my cars would have been even Slower. Only the new 6-10 speeds with locking torque converter are any good.

• 1 year ago

Automatics. I like manuals off-road on packed snow but automatics off-road in powder or sand. Trying to catch first gear on tough uphills in snow or sand is hopeless - count on coming to a standstill and starting again... if you can.

I had plenty of manual transmissions when I was young. They stopped being fun long before I no longer had them. Anybody with a brain can get as much control with a modern automatic as with a manual, so what is the point?

• Lv 6
      1 year agoReport

Not everyone drives on sand Most of the world prefer real roads

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Manual. Provides a lot more control over the vehicle.

• FlagMichael
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

I hear that a lot but it makes no sense at all. In modern automatics it is possible to select an individual gear. 30 years ago you would have a point, but not today.

• 1 year ago

automatic. less maintenance and city driving.

• ...Show all comments
    • FlagMichael
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Even with the best driving clutches are born to die. Second gear synchros get balky in everyday driving. Discs wear down and the springs wear through the cages. Throwout bearings and pilot bearings are not paragons of reliability. Then there are CSCs and clutch cylinders in general. Feh!

• 1 year ago

Automatics. Manuals have significantly less retail value. And it is impossible to text if one hand is needed for steering and one hand for shifting gears.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

for a hotrod to play around with a manual .. for anything else an auto is simply more reliable and less maintenance ..

• ...Show all comments
    • FlagMichael
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

I agree with Dze about the reliability. My family cars have been about half manual, half automatics over the years. In nearly 50 years of cars I have replaced a lot of clutches (rarely had a car with under 100K miles) but never had to repair an automatic.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.