Rightman asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 6 months ago

Would you vote for a council that makes you pay THEM to park on your employers' car park?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-48395...

FCK THAT. Another greedy tax on having a job.

• C

Sustrans would recommend that! I know that organisation quite well. It's staffed by really nice, dangerously idealistic individuals with little practical sense. Policies that put the onus on the driver to reduce car use never work because they never address why the driver needs the car. Laying on a few more buses isn't good enough. Whenever they put in policies like this two things happen: the surrounding residential streets become congested with parked cars and/or the poorly paid workers with early/late starts become priced out of the job, not least because they've already had to move further away for lower housing cost, places where housing is cheaper because the jobs are further away.

Do you know what got me to give up my people carrier? A city car club that actually works in addition to an area of genuine walkability. This is as yet not the UK norm.

No and it's time we got rid of these idiotic Councillors who are a gang of nutters spending their neighbour's money.

• Ludwig

Yes. They will be asking for free beer in the bar at the civic reception rooms next.

Nottingham seems to be the only council to have a workplace parking levy, many councils have looked at having a workplace parking levy, but have rejected the idea.

it will come to everyones employer sooner or later so that councils rip motorists off has cash cows

Yes catch finacial advice: Via pc or by your pal.

No I wouldn't. The reason is that they want to reduce discourage single occupancy car usage. Many businesses are now not allowed to provide onsite parking.

Car owners are in a minority in my council area so they don't risk much by having such a policy, and if you believe they will spend revenue raised on public transport (I don't), it is something that gets support among those who can't afford cars.

Certainly not. I hope there’s a backlash against councils who do that and locals refuse to go to work to make the councils change this nonsense.

• Tavy

Are you aware that ALL hospital workers including Doctors have to pay car park fees. Of course it is not fair.

Nope. I used to start work at 6.00a.m. Now I start at 7.00a.m. The first bus to the town I work arrives after 8.00a.m. and then there is still a 20 minute walk.

Fine for cities with 24 hour transport, but for the average town or village (where some have no public transport) then it is not workable or fair.