How do I treat my depression?

So back in 2015 I was diagnosed with depression, and my life has been changing ever since. My sleep, energy, study, social life and much more have been affected by depression. To help me and in 2015, the doctor prescribed antidepressant medicine back in 2015, Citalopram 10mg. I was amazed by citalopram, the first... show more So back in 2015 I was diagnosed with depression, and my life has been changing ever since. My sleep, energy, study, social life and much more have been affected by depression. To help me and in 2015, the doctor prescribed antidepressant medicine back in 2015, Citalopram 10mg. I was amazed by citalopram, the first pill that i took started working the next day. And I was finally feeling happy, the world seemed much brighter, my energy was on top. The next day I continued with Citalopram 10mg but by then all the energy is gone and am back to depression. I Called my doctor, and he said the affect starts after a month, and we will also higher the dose for you, a month later, a year later, two years later and I was still depressed, I went up to 40mg with no result now I changed the medicine to sertraline and i ve been taking the medicine for about a year with no result. My question is
Why isn't Citalopram nor sertraline work for me and why did only the first pill work?