According to your faith, how important are a person's feelings when making a decision?

Do our feelings matter? What if we are taught one thing (for example, chastity before/within marriage) and 'feel' strongly urged to do the opposite (hook ups)? How does your faith tell you to manage your feelings?

Atheists, how do YOU manage your feelings, esp. when they contradict something you know is true or expected of you?

Feel free to share an example to illustrate your point.

Proverbs 22:3

The shrewd one sees the danger and conceals himself,But the inexperienced keep right on going and suffer the consequences

Your faith will help you control your feelings when you are tempted to do something wrong in God's eyes, you must remember the consequences of your actions and how it canaffect your relationship to God

1 Corinthians 9:25

Now everyone competing in a contestexercises self-control in all things.

Philippians 4:8 whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern, whatever things are righteous, whatever things are chaste, whatever things are lovable, whatever things are well-spoken-of, whatever things are virtuous, and whatever things are praiseworthy, continue considering these things.

The Bible can help you apply the principles and know what is God's righteous moral standards.

Ephesians 5:3 Let sexual immorality and every sort of uncleanness or greediness not even be mentioned among you, just as is proper for holy people

In receiving revelation from God, it must make sense in BOTH your mind (logical) and also feel right with your feelings.

D&C 8:2 Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/8.2...

• odd

If a person's feelings are against me doing what is the right thing, then their feelings don't matter. Their opinion is unimportant.

It depends on the person and the reason for your decision. All decisions should be weighted heavily on what The Word of God (The Tree of Life, Light, Love, Wisdom, Understanding and Knowledge) reveals and also prayer should be the most important part of any decision.

We all have the free will to either obey and follow the moral instruction, values, and laws of the Creator of the Universe, or anything else we choose that makes us feel good. That is the only way we can be held responsible for our lives when our time comes.

Hi Mama bear. It's all about ..for me, for Christians, Jesus.

Jesus gave me feelings.

You think so I DENY them?

You think so I TOTALLY rely on them?

The bible is my standard, so feelings can't oppose.

If they DO?

Then I got a problem.

My faith puts the Lord at the pinnacle, then the Holy Spirit's leading, then feelings will support or oppose.

Both are useful.

I can be in rebellion.

Important question.

• Eli

One thing is to have our feelings but another thing is to know it hurt someone we love when we indulge in sinful behaviours . If you do love someone you sacrifice things for him or you try your best to no disappoint him anymore when you offend him.

Jesus said if you love me do what I commend not what your feelings commend.