Hi, Can i upgrade my yamaha rx-a2050 av receiver to 11.2 speaker setup?

nope its only 9.2 compatible.

No

Kkkkkk

No

No. 11.2 infers eleven discretely decoded channels, and output preamp taps for two self powered sub woofers. The configuration includes the dolby atmosyou already have,, or Speaker channels intended to be set higher than ear level. Sort of "sound from above" for systems with speakers that do not provide adequate sound stage resolution to place the sound in the space it belongs. Of course the proper answer to this, is better speakers, not more poor quality ones. Usually eleven point anything receivers do not include amplifiers for the last two channels, just preamp outputs for them, so, meh. In any case, your receiver has decoding built in for nine channels which it can actually amplify. My take is that 11. x systems are supposedly for very large spaces, that do not isolate , or resolve sound very well. Considering that posting (or having the room to do so) nine or more speakers in most residential spaces is unlikely and largely unneeded for reproducing one source, I'd not worry about it. Better speakers with fewer channels is far more likely to provide a better theater experience in most cases. In anycase, the problem is , more physical parts hardware is built into the 11.2. Its not an operating system upgrade alone.

So far as the information available to me indicates...

no.

How many channels does anyone NEED, anyway?

Two is enough for my purposes.