Why can't people stop asking," whats your accent"?

I tell them I'm from USA and born in ca. They look at me with dumbfounded face. Their behaviour is very insulting when they act like they are surprised. I hate too noisy people. I tell them this is how I sound but they still have no a shame to ask me. They seem like they can't move on. I feel uncomfortable to communicate with anyone. I think it is very improper way of first time impression .

I agree it is rude, and you have a right to be annoyed. I just wonder, since you can't control other people's behavior, if you wouldn't benefit from trying to adjust your level of expectation slightly. People you meet should be better, but they won't, so if you keep getting upset, it will only lead to greater suffering for you. Even though you shouldn't have to, if you could cultivate a modest amount of compassion or even apathy, you might benefit in the long run. If you wish to cultivate compassion, you might try to focus on the fact that humans are curious by nature. It is a quality that leads to many great things, but also can cause us humans trouble too. It can be difficult to wield the hammer of curiosity for only positive things, which means people like you may be have to suffer more than some if you have something that draws people's curiosity. You may try to connect to the part of them that is interested in finding out more about you, rather than the part of the interaction that seems to set you apart from expectation. It doesn't feel good to be excluded, so your reaction is normal, but just as aversion to the feeling of exclusion is expected in humans, so is being curious about something that seems new or different. Both sides of the coin of this interaction reveal that each party is human, and is engaged in the relationship of connection and exploration. It may seem personal, and it is, but it is also larger than that too. It is a part of a force of human nature simply playing out it's role in these moments in time. You do not have to attach the level of significance you do. You can choose to see the larger picture and forgive them for playing out their role in a 'game' they don't realize they are in.

they rnight be doing that to rnake conversation

• Cara

I'm not sure why you regard it as insulting. Everyone has an accent of some kind, and other people are just generally interested if they hear something a little different in your speech. Do try not to think that people who are interested in you are insulting you.

• Cogito

It's just a question - not rude or an insult, or inappropriate.

Why would they be ashamed to ask? It's a perfectly reasonable question as a way to start a conversation.

• Susie

Do you talk like a valley girl?